Tuesday, August 12, 2008


I first met Dan and the Dryden family in June of 2002. It was my first visit to Alaska and Robert had told me tons of amazing stories about the Drydens, who he had described like a second family. The stories had so much zest and were so grandiose that I was sure they must have been embellished, which didn’t matter to me because they were still wonderful stories. However, after meeting the family, I quickly learned that the stories weren’t, nor did they need to be enhanced.

Robert had told me about these late night summer dinners, perhaps as late as midnight, with warm energy and delicious food. To end my skepticism that was still lingering at this point, Robert felt that the best way for me to meet the Dryden’s was at one of these dinners. So at about 11 pm, as I was still shocked and in complete awe of this unfamiliar late daylight, we pulled up to the Dryden’s. The home site was spectacular and unlike anything I could have imagined. We hadn’t called to announce our visit, but the moment Dan and Nancy saw us they were so unbelievably warm, welcoming, and enthusiastic. And, we were just in time for an 11:30 pm dinner! Robert’s stories were not only factual, but in fact, they were dull in comparison with the true energy that Dan and Nancy exuberated. Dan’s presence had an energy that could not be felt through a description with words.

We quickly got into story telling, and Robert and I told Dan and Nancy how we met. And I can still recall that moment like it was yesterday, Dan’s deep and beautiful and continuous laughter. (It’s actually making me laugh right now as I am writing this just remembering his smiley face and laughter from that night.) His laughter and spirit were contagious and it was immediately evident from this experience that Dan’s presence and energy was truly unique.
As others have already mentioned on this site, his passionate, caring, loving, open-minded, fun-natured, youthful, warm heart truly touched all those around him. I could share so many other seemingly magnificent stories about times I was fortunate enough to share with Dan, but they too would pale in comparison with the true events and what his presence brought to the experience and my life. I may have only been able to enjoy Dan’s life since 2002, but it only took moments in his presence for him to make an everlasting impact on mine.

Over the years, I have witnessed how Dan and Nancy not only touch the lives of all those they meet, but how they truly better the community. And one of the biggest ways they have done this, is not just through the countless, selfless hours that they have dedicated to meetings, workshops, and so many other community events, but through the amazingly strong, caring, kind, giving, and open-minded children that they raised. As Alma stated, Dan “lives on in Jessica and Daniel who seem to have gotten the best of both parents,” and I couldn’t agree more.

Dryden Family – Thank you so much for all that you have shared. I am so thankful and feel so fortunate to have met you all. Dan’s (and your entire family’s) essence has made more of an impact on my life than you could possibly imagine. I love you all so much, I am praying for you, and am here to help in any way possible.

Lots and Lots of Love,

Lisa





Dryden Family,

What can I say? Where should I start? I'm going to skip over all the talk about being shocked and saddened by the news and cut straight to the chase. To the extent that I knew Dan, Sr., I have to say that he was one of the nicest, open, caring, non-judgmental people I have ever met. He exuded positive energies and happiness every time I ran into him. He was one of the very few people I have ever met in life that gave the impression that any young person that set foot on his property or within his sphere of influence was going to be treated like one of his own children... literally. He did that for me and my brothers. He seemed genuine in asking how your life was going, in showing concern for who you were and where you were going. He seemed to relish having extra people around to talk to and, I think the best word is, to "commune" with. I always got the impression he would give the shirt off his back if it was truly necessary. I know this sounds cliche, but in this case I really mean it: the world needs many more people like Dan Dryden. I am flabbergasted when I think of a world where everyone was more like him-- open-minded, never given to hatred, hard-working, responsible, loving, always seeking harmony and new frontiers, and always willing to lend a helping hand-- and I think what I wonderful world that would be. Well, I hope you all take comfort in knowing he spread those values to many people you would not have realized.

Josh Keil


Dear Dan

The words I should have said before this moment came,

(dysfunctionally typical the moments NOT to seize!),

already so inimical, our world is on its knees

to hear my oldest friend is dead and nothing is the same.

You knew I loved you – words so free and easy to send forth –

we knew we shared uncommon ties,

you knew how much respect,

surrounded by such blatant lies,

your truth I could expect

embodied all I hoped to be – a human of real worth.

A few long Irish days ago we shared that hectic week,

Desirees intimations that this might well be our last,

your driving sense of urgency, (your driving rather fast!),

there is no way that we can know what Destiny will wreak.

How Chance or Fate connected us in Richard Branson’s den,

(enquiring mind and roving soul are challenging to bear,

though easier in part control when kindred spirits share),

I bless the suns that shone on us, the happen(happy)stance of then,

and all the ventures that ensued enriched beyond assay,

my humble life by you imbued with more than I can say.

What pain your passing spreads across the oceans and the lands,

the countless scores of grieving hearts who surely must have seen

a man so rich in many parts (?ports!) and blessed with such a queen,

the devastation of our loss at care less callous hands.

Ofttimes we moan and rail our lot, so little apprehend;

let living be to living good with all the strength we have,

this world cannot be what it should, be each of us so brave,

but hope and love should falter not till our uncertain end.

If only you could hear us now, if only you could speak,

or travel back in time somehow by just a little week,

could set your sail so differently to quite another shore,

instead we grasp reluctantly you’ve merely gone before.


With our love & prayers for you all, Richard & Desiree, France