Monday, August 25, 2008

The first family member I met from my then boyfriend's family was Daniel Dryden III. I was excited to meet this young man and when I first saw him I thought he was Jesus! After spending a few days with him and John, I realized that meeting the rest of John's family would be a breeze. Then, in the summer of 2006, at the island of Martha's Vineyard, I first met Daniel Dryden II (and Jess and Nancy) and instantly, I knew where Daniel's wonderful spirit came from-- his dad:)

Dan was just such a father figure and he was so easy to approach and extremely non- judgmental which is the best part about him and the other members of his family. I remember John and I asking him advice about something and he was so easy to listen too and I also remember as we were all hiking on the beach (I am not at all a good hiker like the Drydens) I had to stop and take a breather and almost gave up when Dan says to me, " Come on Sangeetha, vamonos". I got up an completed the hike (YAY). I also remember how Dan loved tea and I sent him some special tea for Christmas once and every time he would drink it, he would write me an email to say he was thinking of me. He also taught John and I a lot about life in Alaska when we were at his daughter's wedding last summer.

The last time I think many of us saw Dan was at our wedding party on a boat on the Hudson River, last October. That was also the first time my parents were meeting the in-laws and they were treated very well by everyone but I think Dan (and Nancy) really took the time and patience to make my parents feel really at home and accepted. Dan brought salmon all the way from Alaska for my parents and he and Nancy always had time to converse with them everyday they were together. I have one picture of Dan laughing with my parents which I will cherish forever and my parents and I will remember his kindness to them always. I also remember when at the cake reception my parents needed a ride back to their hotel as they were ready to turn in for that night and Dan jumped up to the chance to give them a ride:) My parents remember him very fondly and will always do and I remember Tom saying to my parents (when he visited them in Malaysia last April) that they should not be surprised if Dan and Nancy docked by a nearby marina near my parents house in Malaysia anytime soon. Maybe it could still happen when the Drydens find a new captain and they are ALWAYS welcome at our home in Malaysia.

Thank you Dan for being a kind and very accepting soul which is what my parents and I will remember you most by.

Sangeetha Kelly-- Dan's "new" niece