Thursday, September 18, 2008






LIFE IS ETERNAL

I am standing upon the seashore

A ship at my side spreads

her white sails to the morning

breeze and starts for the blue

ocean. She is an object of

beauty and strength and I

stand and watch her until

at length she hangs

like a speck of white cloud

just where the sea and sky

come down to mingle

with each other. Then someone

at my side says, "There!

She’s gone!"

Gone where? Gone from

my sight - that is all. She

is just as large in mast

and hull and spar as she

was when she left my side,

and just as able to bear her

load of living freight to the

place of destination. Her

diminished size is in me,

not in her; and just at the

moment when someone at

my side says, There: She’s

gone, there are other eyes

watching the coming, and

other voices ready to take

up the glad shout, "There!

she comes!"